Build Your Skills Toolbox
Examples of personnel management as an elected official include:
- Investing in employee’s professional development/encouraging a growth mindset.
- Helping all employees see how their roles and responsibilities connect to the city’s overall mission.
- Modeling the values of the city.
- Implementing succession planning.
League staff are available to answer your questions, share examples from cities around the state, and give you updates on legislation that affects city operations. Here are some key contacts for you:
One-on-One Assistance with an HR Question
Labor Relations or Employment Law
Reach out to the League’s Research staff.
Information on Legislative Activity Relating to Human Resources and Employment
Anne Finn, Assistant Intergovernmental Relations Director
Information About Workers’ Compensation Coverage
Consult with your city’s insurance agent, or contact the LMCIT Underwriting Department at email@example.com.
The League’s website features several important resources for elected officials that you can explore as needed.
- The HR Reference Manual provides extensive information on human resources in the public sector.
- The Minnesota Mayors Handbook — a product of the Minnesota Mayors Association, in cooperation with the League — is a starting point for all you need to learn to be a successful mayor. It includes sections on mayor-staff relations and information on job direction and supervision.
- LMC Informational Memos on topics such as hiring, salaries, and ADA accommodations:
- Resource pages on these topics:
- City Speak Episode: Staff-Council Relationships – Understanding Roles and Developing Collective Wisdom with Rita Albrecht and Nate Mathews
- Access the library of The City Speak podcast episodes
As a League member, you have access to a wide range of educational and networking opportunities. Find ones that work best for your schedule and learning style. Learn about ways to build relationships with other elected officials for support and networking.
- Harassment Prevention: Creating a Respectful Workplace, LMC Online Training
- Upcoming events
- Recorded webinars