Published: October 20, 2020
There’s a lot to learn as you’re getting started in local government. These resources can help you work with others to lead your community and accomplish your goals as a newly elected city official!
Essential Learning for Newly Elected Officials
The League of Minnesota Cities offers comprehensive learning opportunities just for newly elected officials that will give you the tools you need for your first years in office.
This program includes:
- Elected Leaders Institute: Foundational Program — Join your colleagues online January 15-February 26, 2021 for a six-week program where you’ll explore the nuts and bolts of city leadership! There will be a mixture of programming: online courses where you can learn at your own pace and in your own time, and interactive, live Zoom sessions.
- League of Minnesota Cities Annual Conference — Once you’ve gained some experience in your new role, the LMC Annual Conference (planned for June 23-25, 2021 in Rochester) will help you build on the concepts and basic information from the Elected Leaders Institute, focusing on practical ways to navigate complex issues.
- Webinars — Throughout the year, delve into timely topics by participating in free webinars. Visit the Recorded Webinars page to access previous webinar event recordings.
- Podcasts — Clocking in at less than 30 minutes each, “The City Speak” podcast gives you short takes on city issues. Access episodes of the League’s podcast here.
Essential Reading for Newly Elected Officials
Browse our Resources section for information memos, publication archives, and more to help answer your questions and develop your knowledge of city government topics. Check out these “classics” for essential government know-how:
- A Good Start to Good Governance (pdf) includes excerpts from League resources to help you get a good start in your new role.
- The Handbook for Minnesota Cities is your comprehensive resource for laws affecting Minnesota city governments.
—Access the complete Handbook for Minnesota Cities for more helpful information
- The Minnesota Mayors Handbook, a product of the Minnesota Mayors Association in cooperation with the League, is a starting point for all you need to learn to be a successful mayor.
—Access the Minnesota Mayors Handbook
- Resources for councils provide in-depth discussions of practical topics.
—Access Resources for Councils and Resources on City Finances
- Discover resources that can help your city prevent sexual harassment and maintain a respectful workplace.