Build Your Skills Toolbox
Servant leadership as an elected official means leading with the values, vision, and actions of the ten core competencies and putting the needs of your city, staff, and community first.
The League’s research inquiry team can help you with a wide range of questions about leadership. Reach out to the team at (651) 281-1200 or submit a question online.
Luke Fischer, Executive Director
- The League’s PTSD and Mental Health Toolkit has a section on Leadership Communication.
- Minnesota Cities (the League’s magazine) regularly features articles on different aspects of leadership:
- LMC Informational Memo
- Handbook for Minnesota Cities
- The Minnesota Mayors Handbook — a product of the Minnesota Mayors Association, in cooperation with the League — is a starting point for all you need to learn to be a successful mayor.
- A Good Start to Good Governance (PDF) includes excerpts from League resources to help you start strong in your new role.
- City Speak Episode: How We Lead Starts with Who We Are with Damon Shoholm
- Access the library of The City Speak podcast episodes
As a League member, you have access to a wide range of educational and networking opportunities. Find ones that work best for your schedule and learning style. Learn about ways to build relationships with other elected officials for support and networking.