The League advocates for Minnesota cities on Capitol Hill
With the heightened attention to our nation’s Capitol, the League Board of Directors has adopted a more active federal advocacy strategy. We will communicate, build relationships, and partner on important legislation and administrative rulemaking with all members of Minnesota’s congressional delegation. Now more than ever, the city voice needs to be heard in Washington, D.C.
- Federal Stimulus Package Negotiations Stall as Unemployment Benefits Run Out
- US Treasury Releases Updated Guidance on Coronavirus Relief Funding
- US House Passes HEROES Act Coronavirus Relief Package
- COVID-19 Federal Update (5/4/20): Local Government Assistance Proposals
- COVID-19 Federal Update (4/27/20): Interim Spending Package Approved, Treasury Releases CARES Act Guidance
- What MN Cities Can Expect From the Federal Coronavirus Relief Fund
- Federal $2.2 Trillion COVID-19 Response Package Signed Into Law
- Join LMC in Encouraging Congress to Provide Funding to Cities Responding to COVID-19
- FEMA Assistance Available to Cities for Costs Related to COVID-19
- Federal Tobacco 21 Law: Answers to Common City Questions
- Court Temporarily Blocks President’s Executive Order on Refugee Resettlement
- Federal Law Raises Minimum Age for Tobacco Sales to 21
- MN State and Local Governments Say ‘Yes’ to Refugees
- Federal 911 Law to Take Effect in February
- FCC Changes to Cable Franchise Fees Take Effect Sept. 26
- FCC Approves Dramatic Changes to Cable Franchise Fees Collected by Cities
- Federal Health Care Reform
- Letter to members of Congress in support of Protecting Community Television Act (pdf)
- Press release by Sen. Amy Klobuchar quoting LMC executive director in support of Protecting Community Television Act
Federal advocacy resources
The following are several resources from the National League of Cities (NLC) to help city officials effectively communicate with members of Congress.
- Basic Modes of Communication (pdf)
- Developing Advocacy Strategies (pdf)
- Researching Congressional Staff (pdf)
- Email Message Formula (pdf)
- Verbal Message Formula (pdf)
- Write a Thank You Note (pdf)
For more resources on federal advocacy, take the NLC Federal Advocacy Workspace Tutorial
National League of Cities
While the League of Minnesota Cities focuses primarily on state legislative issues, we also advocate on federal issues directly and through our partner organization, the National League of Cities (NLC).
NLC is a key advocacy and information resource for elected city officials. NLC keeps members apprised of federal regulations, solutions to problems, and challenges for the future.
In 1924, the League of Minnesota Cities and other state municipal leagues formed NLC to have a voice for city issues in Washington, D.C. Today, NLC continues its advocacy role and includes a wide variety of learning and leadership development opportunities.
Elected officials from League of Minnesota Cities member cities can attend NLC conferences and leadership training seminars, serve on policy committees, and access NLC’s information resources. Your city can also become an NLC Direct Member City, allowing you to receive additional discounts and strengthen your level of participation in NLC.