Build Your Skills Toolbox
Examples of financial literacy as an elected official include:
- Creating an environment in which financial transparency is valued.
- Analyzing trends that will affect the budget.
- Being a good steward of the public’s resources.
- Preparing your city to meet future needs.
League staff are available to answer your questions, share examples from cities around the state, and give you updates on legislation that affects city operations. Here are some key contacts for you:
Financial Solutions for Your City
Lisa Sova, Assistant Finance Director – Outreach
Budgeting for Salaries/Benefits or Health Insurance Coverage for Employees
Information on Legislative Activity Relating to Taxes, State Aid, Pensions, or Tax Increment Financing
Gary Carlson, Intergovernmental Relations Director
Calculating Property Tax Rates or Looking at Levy History
Rachel Walker, Policy Analysis Manager
Other Financial Literacy Questions
Submit a question to the League’s inquiry service.
The League’s website features several important resources for elected officials that you can explore as needed.
- LMC Informational Memos on topics such as public finance, bidding, and paying claims:
- A Good Start to Good Governance (PDF) includes excerpts from League resources to help you start strong in your new role.
- The Handbook for Minnesota Cities is your comprehensive resource for laws affecting Minnesota city governments:
- The Minnesota Mayors Handbook — a product of the Minnesota Mayors Association, in cooperation with the League — is a starting point for all you need to learn to be a successful mayor. It includes sections on contracts and budgeting, and it also offers guidance on the city role as employer.
- Resources for councils provide in-depth discussions of practical topics.
Paying for City Services gives you access to information on property taxes, Local Government Aid (LGA), and more.
- City Speak Episode: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Public Finance with Merrill King
- City Speak Episode: Two Mayors talk City Budgets with Courtney Johnson and Tim Busse
- Access the library of The City Speak podcast episodes
As a League member, you have access to a wide range of educational and networking opportunities. Find ones that work best for your schedule and learning style. Learn about ways to build relationships with other elected officials for support and networking.