Request an accessible format.
See accompanying model documents below.
This content conveys general information. Do not use it as a substitute for legal advice. Any attorney general opinions cited are available from the League’s Research staff.
Learn about state laws regulating disbursement of public funds such as competitive bidding requirements, best value and emergency contracting, construction contracts, retainage, contracting with other governmental entities and purchasing consultant services. Get guidance on conflicts of interest, that is, the prohibition against a city official having a personal financial interest in city contracts.
Use these model documents with the discussion on Expenditures, Purchasing and Contracts:
- Declaring a Special Emergency, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Donation of Surplus City Equipment to a Nonprofit Organization, LMC model policy (doc)
- Extending a Local Emergency, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Making a Local or Special Emergency Contract, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Proclamation Declaring a Local Emergency, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Purchasing Agent Agreement, LMC model contract (doc)
- Declaring Equipment or Property as Surplus and Authorizing the Sale of the Same, LMC Model Resolution (doc)