This content conveys general information. Do not use it as a substitute for legal advice. Any attorney general opinions cited are available from the League’s Research staff.
Learn about setting rates for municipal utilities and on what basis cities may make charges; applicability of state sales tax. Find a discussion of credits and penalties; special rules for rental property, manufactured homes, properties in foreclosure or in bankruptcy. Lists remedies for nonpayment, including certifying for payment with taxes. Discusses federal clean water act, red flag rule requirements and the Minnesota Cold Weather Rule.
- Annual Utility Payment Arrangement Notice, LMC model form (doc)
- Certifying Unpaid Charges, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Cross Connections and Backflow Prevention, LMC model ordinance (doc)
- Electric Utility Service Disconnection Notice to Tenants, LMC model form (doc)
- Establishing City Water and Sewer Accounts, LMC model ordinance (doc)
- Identity Theft and Municipal Utilities, MMUA article on “Red Flags Rule” requirements (pdf)
- Non-Electric Utility Service Disconnection Notice to Tenants, LMC model form (doc)
- Notice of Intent to Certify Unpaid Water and Sewer Charges, LMC model form (doc)
- Prohibiting Private Wells, LMC model ordinance (doc)
- Utility Payment Schedule Arrangement, LMC model form (doc)
- Water and Sewer Service Shut Off Notice, LMC model form (d0c)
- Water Usage in a Critical Water Deficiency, LMC model ordinance (doc)