3+ hours (for 8 total courses)
The Clerks Foundational Program is a 101-level series of courses designed for newer city clerks. This program provides an overview of the main functions and responsibilities of the role of city clerk. Through eight online courses, you will gain foundational skills and knowledge in running and governing a city.
Courses included are:
- Human Resources Essentials for City Clerks (Approx. 45 min)
- Sections include: Hiring; Performance Evaluation and Discipline; HR Tips
- Open Meeting Law for City Clerks (Approx. 60 min)
- Financial Fundamentals for City Clerks (Approx. 75 min)
- Sections include: Public Finance 101; Public Finance 201
- Data Practices for Clerks (Approx. 60 min)
- Sections include: Basics and Classifications; Procedures and Responsibilities; Rights and Penalties
- Roles and Responsibilities (Approx. 10 min)
- Filling a Council Vacancy (Approx. 10 min)
- Code Enforcement (Approx. 10 min)
- Cybersecurity for Clerks (Approx. 10 min)
By completing the Clerks Foundational Program, you will:
- Understand how the 10 core competencies of a city clerk impact your role.
- Apply new leadership and communication skills to better serve your elected officials, colleagues, and community.
- Learn practical tools to help you navigate the Open Meeting Law, city budgets, human resources, and municipal legal requirements.
- Understand how to continue your professional development and where to access League resources.
Subject matter expert
Various League of Minnesota Cities staff experts
Videos, scenario-based interactives, games, knowledge checks, audio interactives, infographics, downloadable resources, and more — learn more about MemberLearn here.
$55 per user
When you purchase a course in MemberLearn, you’re able to access it at any time and it will not expire — so you can learn at your own pace and review the material as much as you’d like.