Request an accessible format.
See accompanying model documents below.
This content conveys general information. Do not use it as a substitute for legal advice. Any attorney general opinions cited are available from the League’s Research staff.
Learn how to avoid sanitary sewer backups through improved system maintenance and limit your liability with improved documentation if a backup does occur. Address fats, grease and oil (FOG) in your system. Find related risk management information on inflow and infiltration (I & I), no-fault sewer backup coverage, discretionary immunity and Pollution Control Agency (PCA) sewer system by-pass requirements.
Use these model documents with the “Sanitary Sewer Toolkit”.
Maintenance and Response Forms:
- Preventive Maintenance Checklist, LMC model form (doc)
- Sanitary Sewer Manholes Inspection, LMC model form (doc)
- Lift Station Report, LMC model form (doc)
- Service Call Report, LMC model form (doc)
- Cab Cards for City Vehicles, LMC model form (doc)
- Backflow Check Valve Agreement, LMC model contract (doc)
- Backflow Check Valves, LMC model policy (doc)
- Sanitary Sewer Maintenance, LMC model policy (doc)
- Sanitary Sewer System Assessment, LMC model form (doc)
- Sanitary Sewer System Emergency Response, LMC model policy (doc)
- Inflow and Infiltration, LMC model ordinance (doc)
- Utility Bill Stuffer (doc)
- Web Content for Sanitary Sewer Department (doc)
- Sanitary Sewer Backup Brochure (doc)
- Sanitary Sewer Backup – Letter to Residents (doc)
- Sanitary Sewer Article for City Newsletter (doc)