Published: September 30, 2019
This material contains general information; it should not be used as a substitute for legal advice. Any attorney general opinions cited in this material are available on request from the League’s Research and Information Service staff.
Learn how to divest the city of dedicated public streets, alleys, and other public ways and grounds, such as dedicated parks and docks that are no longer needed. Understand steps in the formal vacation process provided by law for this purpose.
Use these models with the discussion on “Vacation of City Streets”:
- Declaring Sufficiency of Petition and Setting a Public Hearing, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Notice of Public Hearing on Vacation of a Street, LMC model form (doc)
- Notice of Public Hearing on Vacating a Street Adjacent to or Abutting Public Waters, LMC model form (doc)
- Petition for Vacating a Street, LMC model form (doc)
- Setting a Public Hearing on a Street Vacation, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Vacating a Street on Council Initiative, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Vacating a Street Upon Petition, LMC model resolution (doc)