A council member has just resigned from their position. So what happens next? This mini-course will help guide you through the process of filling a vacancy.
By completing this mini-course, you will:
- Recognize the reasons why vacancies occur.
- Determine how to declare a vacancy.
- Summarize the process for filling a vacancy.
- Identify procedures to call and hold a special election.
- Access additional resources on filling a council vacancy and holding a special election.
Subject matter expert
Aisia Davis, Staff Attorney, League of Minnesota Cities.
Videos, infographics, downloadable materials, and knowledge check — learn more about MemberLearn.
This free course is only available to League of Minnesota Cities members and is included as part of your city’s LMC membership.
After you initially access this MemberLearn course you’re able to access it again at any time and it will not expire — so you can learn at your own pace and review the material as much as you’d like.