Cybersecurity support is available to members of the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust.
Cybersecurity guidance and support
We can help your city gauge cybersecurity threats, make a contingency plans for an emergency event, or respond to a technology concern. We welcome questions from:
- Small cities with little to no IT support
- Cities implementing new or updated technology
- IT professionals seeking support
- City officials appointed and elected leaders making decisions about technology and policies
Technology is a core function of government
Public services are increasingly dependent on technology solutions. Cities are experiencing increasing demands to assess, evaluate, and manage complex technical resources. The League’s Cybersecurity Loss Control program aims to empower city staff and elected officials with the tools and perspectives needed to make informed decisions and to demystify emerging cybersecurity and technology concerns.
The League’s Loss Control Initiatives:
- Incident response planning
- Wire fraud and financial scams prevention
- Ransomware, malware, phishing and other cyber attacks
We can help:
- Create policies, plans and procedures. We can help you develop documentation using industry best practices compliant with the Minnesota General Data Practices Act.
- Train your staff (or yourself). We offer security awareness training for staff, managers, and elected officials — in person or online.
- Procure technology. We offer support for evaluating technology solutions and services. We can also assist in developing RFPs or interpreting vendor proposals.
- Create a citywide strategy. Our staff can help facilitate conversations with elected officials and senior staff to identify city priorities and goals for technology in the municipal environment. Focuses include budgeting for technology solutions and the role of city leaders in technology decision-making.
Connect with an expert
Christian Torkelson is a Certified Information Systems Security Professional with over a decade of experience in the information security and IT arena, with specific expertise in risk analysis, IT procurement, security solutions, and security awareness training.
If you have questions about cybersecurity or technology challenges in your city, contact:
Christian Torkelson – Cybersecurity Loss Control Consultant
Consulting services are free for LMCIT members.