Published: May 26, 2020
This chapter provides general information on this topic. It is not a substitute for legal guidance. Any models should be customized with the help of the city’s attorney, as needed.
Understand the laws, practices and policies a city should consider at the end of an employment relationship through resignation, retirement or involuntary discharge.
Discusses use performance investigations, progressive discipline and due process procedures like written and verbal warnings or reprimands to demotion, suspension or employee termination. Notes special procedures for peace officers (PODPA) and veterans (just cause). Considerations in layoffs, bumping rights and hiring freezes. Use of warnings such as Tennessen and Garrity notices.
Use these model documents with the discussion on “Discipline and Termination” in this chapter:
- Employment Exit Questionnaire, LMC model form (doc)
- Health Plan Contribution Incentive, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Informed Consent for Release of Information, LMC model form (doc)
- Layoff Notice Letter, LMC model form (doc)
- Paid Health Insurance Incentive, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Separation from Employment Checklist, LMC model form (doc)
- Special Voluntary Unpaid Leave, LMC model policy (doc)