This content conveys general information. Do not use it as a substitute for legal advice. Any attorney general opinions cited are available from the League’s Research staff.
Learn about the tools available to cities under state law to remedy unhealthy and dangerous properties such as those damaged by fire or explosion, unsecured vacant buildings, garbage houses, and otherwise hazardous buildings or excavations.
Foreclosed, abandoned houses or other buildings, as well as excavations, can be dangerous public nuisances.
- Adopting an Expense Report, LMC model resolution
- Establishing a Fire Escrow Account, LMC model resolution
- Notice of Public Auction, LMC model form
- Order to Raze a Hazardous Building, LMC model resolution
- Order for Repair or Removal of Hazardous Conditions, LMC model resolution
- Ordering a Hazardous Excavation Filled, LMC model resolution
- Ordering the Securing of a Vacant Building, LMC model resolution
- Securing Vacant Buildings, LMC model ordinance