Minnesota cities often allow individuals and groups to use or rent municipal-owned facilities. Sometimes, though, the city and event organizer may be sued if someone is injured at the event. Regardless of the merit, these claims can be time consuming and costly.
To help cities avoid these situations, the Trust offers a program called TULIP — the Tenant User Liability Program — which allows individuals and groups (called tenant users) to protect themselves and their guests at events held at city-owned facilities. Members can offer TULIP to tenant users at no additional cost to the city.
How it works
When an individual or group asks to use or rent a city facility, members will:
- Shares that inexpensive liability insurance can be purchased online through TULIP.
- Provide the tenant user a copy of the TULIP flyer, which includes instructions on how to purchase event insurance.
- Encourage the tenant user to visit the TULIP website to complete a brief application, generate a quote, and purchase the event insurance with a credit card.
After a tenant user purchases coverage, a copy of the insurance certificate is emailed to the tenant user and also to the member. The member is automatically named as an additional insured.
Remember, TULIP is only meant for events on city property that are held by private individuals or groups. If the city is sponsoring an event, it will generally be covered by its liability coverage through the Trust, although there are exclusions for specific types of events or activities, such as rodeos and demolition derbies. See Section III.T, Special Events, of the LMCIT Liability Coverage Guide (pdf) for more information.
The cost for TULIP is based upon the type of event, number of people attending, event length, and several other factors. Tenant users and members can go to the TULIP website and generate quotes (there’s no obligation to purchase the insurance).
TULIP provides private individuals and groups with $1 million in liability coverage for special events held on member property, such as:
- Job fairs
- Club events and meetings
- Arts and crafts fairs
Liquor liability coverage is also available through TULIP.
TULIP program information
Resources for city special events
- LMCIT Model Community Center Rental Documents (pdf) in Section VIII-C-1 of the Park and Recreation Loss Control Guide , (pdf) on Community Center Programs, use by outside groups.
- LMCIT Liability Coverage Guide (pdf) (see Sections III.K and III.T on Liquor Liability and Special Events)