6 hours (for 8 total courses)
Elected Leaders Foundations is designed to meet the needs of government leaders. A bundling of eight courses, it teaches you the nuts and bolts of city leadership. You’ll gain foundational skills and knowledge in how to run and govern a city.
Courses included are:
-Structure and Function of Cities (45 minutes)
-Open Meeting Law (60 minutes)
-Public Finance 101 and 201 (1 hour 20 minutes)
-Social Media for Elected Officials (25 minutes)
-Risk and Legal Obligations (35 minutes)
-Personnel Management (45 minutes)
-Communicating for Community Engagement (35 minutes)
By completing Elected Leaders Foundations, you will:
- Understand what type of government your city has, as well as the implications for your role on council and what cities can and cannot do.
- Become familiar with the Open Meeting Law and your role as an individual vs. as a governing body — including tips for personal effectiveness, such as listening skills and group dynamics.
- Explore the basic components of a city budget and your responsibility within the budgeting process.
- Gain a high-level understanding of areas elected officials should be involved in, such as human resources, public engagement, and showing up as a leader.
- Discover the legal realities of your role and how to manage risk in your city.
Subject matter experts
Various League of Minnesota Cities and external experts
Videos, scenario-based interactives, games, knowledge checks, audio interactives, infographics, and downloadable resources — learn more about MemberLearn here.
$99 per user
When you purchase a course in MemberLearn, you’re able to access it at any time and it will not expire — so you can learn at your own pace and review the material as much as you’d like.