2019 Fall Safety and Loss Control Workshops: Force Science Institute—Realistic De-escalation Training
Registration is now closed for these workshops.
What tactics have been proven to actually work in de-escalating potentially confrontational encounters? The Force Science Institute has analyzed de-escalation and put together strategies that officers like you can use during tense, uncertain, and rapidly-evolving field encounters.
This fall, the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust (LMCIT) is sponsoring a workshop developed by the Force Science Institute that will teach you how best to handle these critical situations—while keeping both officers and the public safe.
During this day-long workshop, you will:
- Understand what de-escalation really means, and when it’s most likely to be successful
- Learn how to quickly recognize whether a subject is in conflict or crisis—and which tactics will be most likely to defuse the situation
- Review the best ways to make a connection, establish rapport, and apply proven principles of persuasion with difficult individuals
- Practice the principles of officer self-regulation and emotional control that will help you maintain rational thinking
- Discover how to help community members and the media better understand what realistic de-escalation entails—and the challenges that can inhibit an officer’s ability to safely de-escalate
- Leave with tools that you can use on the job during high-pressure encounters
—Presenters: Chris Butler and Nicole Florisi
—Audience: Police chiefs, supervisors, training officers, police officers
- $50 (including lunch) for League of Minnesota Cities members
- $295 (including lunch) for non-League of Minnesota Cities members
The League is subsidizing this workshop for our Trust members, so you can take this nationally recognized course for nearly $250 less than normal!
—Credits: Earn 8 POST credits that satisfy the new Learning Objectives for Mental Health/Crisis Intervention
Please note: You must attend the full day of training to receive these credits.
Dates & Locations:
- Sept. 17—Perham
Perham Lakeside Golf Club
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
320 17th St. NW (view map)
Perham, MN 56573
Please note: registration for this location is now closed.