Learn about housing concepts, discover resources that can help your community develop or preserve affordable housing, and more.
The League has released a new information memo providing cities with tools to address affordable housing and homelessness in their communities.
The memo, Housing Issues for Minnesota Cities, covers the general concepts of affordable housing, fair housing, and naturally occurring affordable housing (NOAH). The memo also identifies local tools and resources cities may consider implementing to preserve or produce affordable housing and address homelessness and encampments. Cities can find government partners and programs that can help stimulate housing.
The memo also provides an overview of state and federal programs that can help cities solve housing issues, including:
- Low-Income Rental Classification
- Housing Improvement Areas
- Opportunity Zones
- Local Housing Trust Funds
- Tax abatement
- Minnesota City Participation Program
- Greater Minnesota Workforce Housing Development Program
- Low-Income Housing Tax Credits
- Community Development Block Grants