A 2019 law established a new process requiring local governments to obtain legislative authorization for a local sales tax before seeking voter approval.
A total of 20 local sales tax proposals have been submitted to the 2021 Legislature, including 18 from cities.
A 2019 law (Minnesota Statutes, section 297A.99) established a new process requiring local governments to obtain legislative authorization for a local sales tax before seeking voter approval. Local governments had to submit their local sales tax requests and supporting documentation by Jan. 31. That deadline was set to give legislators sufficient time to evaluate the proposals.
There is some question about whether requests submitted but not granted during the 2020 legislative session will qualify to be considered this year.
Proposed local sales tax projects
- Cloquet: Repairs and expansion of Cloquet Ice Arena and Pine Valley Park Ski Jump
- Crosslake: Upgrades for wastewater infrastructure
- Edina: Fred Richards Park, Braemar Park, and Weber Woods Park improvements
- Fergus Falls: Aquatic Center, streets and infrastructure, parks and trails
- Floodwood: Citywide street and infrastructure project
- Grand Rapids: Reconstruction, remodeling, and upgrades for the IRA Civic Center
- Hermantown: Hockey arena, trails, and athletic facilities
- Itasca County: New construction or upgrades to correctional facilities, court facilities, and county offices
- Litchfield: Construction of a community wellness/recreation center
- Little Falls: Construction of a community recreation center
- Maple Grove: Expansion and renovation of the Maple Grove Community Center
- Mille Lacs County: Public works facility
- Moorhead: Construction and improvements to aquatic center, city hall, library, and regional trails
- Oakdale: Construction of a new public works facility and expansion of police department facility
- Peter: Construction of a new fire station
- Cloud: Four regional roadway projects and the municipal athletic complex
- Staples: Renovations and improvements to the community center
- Wadena: Renovations to the city library
- Waite Park: Regional transportation corridors, trail connections, public safety facility
- Warren: Construction of a new child care facility