Invest in your skills to LEAD.
Register for St. Paul
Please note: to see which courses are currently open in St. Paul, view the available courses using your MyLMC account. Registration is limited to four attendees per organization per mini-series. Remaining 2020 courses will be held via Zoom.
Register for Staples
Please note: registration for courses in Staples is through Sourcewell — you can find open courses on Sourcewell’s professional development page. Registration is limited to four attendees per organization per mini-series. Remaining 2020 courses will be held via Zoom.
The League has partnered with the Association of Minnesota Counties, Metropolitan State University, and Sourcewell to offer the LEAD Academy — a Public Sector Supervisor Certificate designed to give local government leaders the skills needed to go beyond department work to direct the work that needs to get done.
Registration for a new LEAD Academy cohort has opened, with courses starting in 2020. Taking part in this professional development course will help you build a great foundation as you start, or prepare for, a role in local government supervision.
What does it mean to LEAD?
- Learn about yourself.
- Engage others.
- Act for effectiveness.
- Develop the organization.
Curious about the building blocks of LEAD? Check out this chart (pdf).
During LEAD Academy courses, you will:
- Work through situations and scenarios for supervisors to practice root cause analysis and risk assessment on possible solutions.
- Explore opportunities to interact with other local government organizations to build collaborative relationships.
- Hear from instructors with a variety of experiences including: leading in local government, supervising staff, and managing change, projects, and continuous improvement efforts.
- Discover practical information you can start using right away.
To earn the LEAD Academy Public Sector Supervisor Certificate you will need to take part in four mini-series, each focusing on a specific skill area:
- Time to Lead: refine your leadership style.
- Supervisor Survival: transition to leading a department.
- HR Essentials: your role in human resources.
- Managing Up and Out: your role at an organizational level.
Each mini-certificate consists of three courses, and you must register for the entire mini-certificate.
Dates & Locations:
The League is offering a new round of LEAD Academy courses, once again partnering with Sourcewell, Metropolitan State University, and the Association of Minnesota Counties. Remaining 2020 courses will be held via Zoom. See the list of current dates and locations.
Public sector supervisors and staff getting ready to move into supervisory roles.
$300 per mini-series.