Capitol Grand Opening to Include March of Mayors
After four years and a $310 million restoration, the Minnesota State Capitol is open to the public. The Capitol has been returned to its former glory and is ready for the next 100 years! To commemorate the occasion and to invite Minnesotans back to the People’s House, there will be a Grand Opening Celebration held Aug. 11–13.
The state is counting on Minnesota’s cities to be a key part of the festivities. Here are a few ways for your community to participate:
- Attend the March of Mayors. Hold your calendar for the morning of Aug. 11. Mayors from across the state will march to the Capitol lawn, attend the ribbon cutting ceremony, and take pictures on the Capitol steps. For more information and to sign up for the march, contact Courtney Jasper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pass a resolution encouraging your community to attend the event. A draft resolution for your city council to consider is available online. Please consider passing the resolution commemorating the event and encouraging your community to attend. If you do, let the state know by contacting Courtney Jasper at email@example.com.
- Make a brief video. Each city across the state will be asked to make a 15-second video identifying what the Capitol means to them. It will be played on a loop throughout the weekend and included in a time capsule. Learn more about making the video.
- Most importantly, plan to attend!
The celebration will include fireworks, concerts, demonstrations by artisans, behind-the-scenes tours, and more. With featured events to entertain Minnesotans of all ages from all corners of the state, the weekend will be educational, interactive, and fun! Most of the events are free, or offered at a very low cost. Additional events include:
- Kids Zone: Join the Science Museum, Children’s Museum, Minnesota Zoo, Minnesota Historical Society, and librarians from across the state for fun family-friendly events.
- Outstanding entertainment: On Saturday night enjoy a free concert as The Current Presents: Lizzo and Poliça! Following the concert, fireworks will light up the sky behind the Capitol.
- Yoga on the Capitol lawn: Grab your yoga mat and join in for some sun salutations on the Capitol Mall! Yoga classes will be led by the St. Paul YWCA.
- Tours: Join guides from the Minnesota Historical Society for a tour of the Minnesota State Capitol Building. Tour includes special behind-the-scenes looks at restored spaces, including access to the Loggia and Quadriga, special for Grand Opening weekend.
For detailed information about the weekend, visit the Capitol Grand Opening website or learn more on Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr.
Read the current issue of the Cities Bulletin